Blastoise Deformed Shell

This little girl arrived to us alongside her sister they are both Yellow-Bellied Sliders. When their owner first contacted us, it was clear to see just how much she loved these two girls. Due to a change of circumstances, she has had no choice but to surrender them to us. The whole process has been very upsetting for the previous owner she has put so much time, effort, and love into helping Blastoise live a normal happy life. Blastoise has a very pronounced shell defect. She has had many trips to the Vets who have all confirmed that this is just a deformity of the shell that unfortunately was unavoidable. Both the vets and the previous owner have worked very hard to ensure that she is happy. She has now been introduced to her new home at the rescue and we are thrilled to say she is doing amazing she can move around just as well (maybe even better) than some of the other residents here. We will continue to closely monitor her and help her lead a normal life in a natural but safe environment. 

(Kiveton Park)

Today we went to rescue  5 koi which were looking for a home due to their current owner passing away. When we arrived we were surprised to see just the five fish all swimming very closely together in a huge pond. After emptying it as much as we could we caught the fish and decided to transport the fish to the rescue on an urgent basis due to one of the fish bleeding profusely from its gill. Whilst it was distressing for the sons to watch we was able to reassure them that it was actually a normal response to stress seen in female fish. Once home she was placed in a dark container with a high pressure air pump and had recovered fully within the hour. She is now happy and back with her little group of friends. This job was particularly emotional as they were originally their fathers fish and after his death his wife had maintained the pond for nearly a decade on her own. then past way herself.  So our condolences to the family and glad we could help them through a particularly different time.

(Bullwell, Nottinghamshire)

Our first ever job of removing fish was for a gentleman who passed away. We were contacted by a family member saying that his final wish to have all the fish and pond equipment sent to some sort of rescue centre, so they contacted us. We arranged to go down the next day and when we arrived, we were informed that he passed away literally a few hours before we arrived. We did our best to reassure the family during a very upsetting and emotional time it was clear just how much his fish meant to him we were for 6 hours on the first day and still had to return the next day to collect some remaining fish who managed to hide under 2 foot of water. We ensured every fish was removed and then cleared all the pond equipment and completely drained the pond for the family ready to be filled in.


We were contacted by a gentleman’s long-distance partner explaining that he had passed away. The only problem was she was too far away to travel so had to rely on communications through phone or email. She knew he had two ponds but not much else. We received the address and accessed the property and was absolutely astounded. He did have two ponds and 3 garages full of pond equipment the set up was incredible. To the front of the property was a smallish pond containing small koi and goldfish (lots of goldfish). To the rear of the property, you had to go through two garages to access a raised pond which had a cover built on it. Inside that pond were some huge fish he had 6 5ft 5inch Sturgeon, a few very large Carp and some good-sized Koi. This again was clear to see just how much he loved his fish. It took 10 hours on day one and 4 hours on day two just to collect the fish we were collecting equipment for nearly a week. In that time, we learnt what kind of man this person was, and we were amazed. He was such a fun guy and loved having a laugh. We had nothing but respect for this job and was even able to make others and probably the man himself giggle when one of us got a good slap of a fish round the face. Its little moments like that, that make you appreciate the life you have.


We were contacted by a young man who explained to us that his dad has passed away and his mother now had to close his fishpond. Upon arrival we introduced ourselves and asked a little more about the reason for pond closure. She explained that her husband had only passed away 3 months ago, and she hadn’t wanted to close the pond. Her husband had instructed her to, but she refused. It was therefore more heart-breaking that the pond liner had split, and she had no choice but to send them to us. We did our best to reassure her and removed a whopping 65 fish many of which were some very strange interbreeds. He had Koi, Common Carp, and Goldfish all mating with each other. The whole time she had her husbands’ ashes on the windowsill watching us she said he spent so much time sat there in his final days she felt it was only right he saw the final removal.


We received a call from an elderly lady asking for help in re-homing two Koi Fish. When we asked her why she was having to rehome to tearfully replied that they were her husband’s fish but due to a recent diagnosis of Dementia he was slowly losing all memory of them. First thing every morning he would go to the window look at the pond and say, “who’s Fish, are they?”. Understandably his wife found this very hard to accept as he had these two fish for nearly 20 years. We went to fetch them and was absolutely astounded when we saw them, they were the biggest fish we’ve had at the rescue (So Far). The biggest one weighed in at 22 pounds. It was clear to see that these fish were very loved and very healthy. We reassured them both before leaving and was even in contact with the son to arrange sending some photos so that he could have the photos put on a canvas and given back to his dad as a surprise. 

(Rotherham Police)

One day we had a call from someone at Rotherham Police Station. The person informed us that they had been contacted by another person at Rotherham Council. The situation was in relation to a Yellow-Bellied Slider. The local council had been called to a property over concerns that it had been abandoned and local teens were trashing the place. When the council arrived, they secured the property and just as they were leaving a young female said, “What about the Turtle upstairs”. The council worker decided to investigate and what she found still shocks us to this day. Firstly, it was a Yellow-Bellied Slider, but it was only a baby, and it was in a completely dry bucket. No one knew how long it had been there and despite being left abandoned with no food, water or warmth this little Terrapin was so pleased to see someone. It was extremely dehydrated and a little lethargic, so the council phoned the police and the police contacted us the little guy arrived an hour later. When he arrived, we couldn’t believe how little he was and was shocked to see that he had no claws at all the only conclusion for us was that someone must have previously removed them. We introduced him to water and much to our disgust found out his couldn’t swim he just sank like a rock to the bottom. After some adjustments and love and care we was able to gain his trust and confidence. Six months later his swimming was perfect, and he was introduced to the main pond where he is absolutely thriving amongst the bigger Terrapins.

(Down South)

This Terrapin came to us all the way from down south. He is a Musk Turtle (aka Stinkpot). These terrapins get their name from their ability to secrete a very powerful and smelly odour to detect predators. When this musk came in, he was severely overweight, to the point when he walked his shell was digging into his legs and making them sore. He went on an immediate diet and slowly but surely, he started to lose some weight he now lives with a trusted foster carer and is receiving lots of exercise both in and out of water and on a strict controlled diet.